Thursday, June 16, 2011

"Homework" magnets

When I first started teaching I would collect papers quickly and efficiently.  Then I realized that they weren't in order and that putting them in the grade book was a pain.  So, I decided to put the whiteboard in the back of the room to good use!  


First, I made little magnets for each student by using glass beads and glass glue.  I cut small circles from my old magazines and glued them to the back of the bead with the glass glue. 




 Then I used my trusty hot glue gun to attach magnets to the back.  I used the smaller magnets this year and they were just as powerful as the larger size, plus a little cheaper!
I bought a fun package of calendar numbers and laminated them.  You could make these easily as well. After attaching them on the back white board,  put the magnets next to them.  

 

Ta-Da!  Now if we have papers to turn in, I can say "Put your homework on your magnet".  I usually have a "helper" each week that will go back and collect them in order for me.  Fourth graders are so amazing!

As an added bonus, I let the students take their magnet home at the end of the year.  Mostly, I do that so that I get to make more each summer.  Sometimes a teacher just needs a project...



            

No comments:

Post a Comment