Friday, April 5, 2013

TGIF + April Currently

Hey y'all!  I spent the week at the NCEA national conference in Houston, Texas and just returned late last night.   I had a nice little blog post all set up earlier this week, but my tablet won't publish it so I'm not sure what happened there.  Since I didn't take my laptop on the trip, I ended up just not updating!  Between company from Germany and Easter last week and Houston this week, I'm getting caught up today on everything at home.

Learned a bunch of fun information at the conference and can't wait to share a little in the next few weeks.  Some session topics I attended included:
- flipping classrooms
- iPad apps
- centers/workstations
- classroom management/minimal disruptions
- professional learning communities (PLCs)
- using manipulatives in for reading instruction

So since I don't quite have my act together yet, I went ahead and linked up with Farley's April Currently for today and I'll get back to you on some more interesting tidbits later.


Have a lovely Friday!  I hope the sun is shining in your 'hood!

6 comments:

  1. I'm your newest follower, and I can't wait to read about all that good stuff you learned at your conference. Using manipulatives in reading has me curious. Happy Friday!
    Jana
    downthehallinthird.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jana! I'm hoping to try a few things in my classroom and then update about what worked. Thanks for following me!

      Delete
  2. I cannot wait to hear about what you learned in Houston...I am a Texas gal. We do use manipulatives in reading a TON. I am excited to see what more I can do.

    That is so true about your advice. I try and stay away from negative people or those who complain A LOT. They tend to drag me down too. =(

    I am happy to be your newest follower. I would love for you to hop over and visit when you get the chance. =)

    Heather
    Heather's Heart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following me!! Once I get through catching up on school things I will try get a few things I learned out there. I will stop by your blog today!

      Delete
  3. What an awesome blog title! I'm your newest follower- I found your blog through the linky party- this was my first one as I only started my blog on Wednesday.

    We've recently got a set of ipads in our classrooms (4 student and 1 teacher) so I'll be very interested in seeing some of the posts you do about what you've learned. I'm going to do a post soon about an incredible maths app we regularly use in our room.

    I'd also be very interested to see more about the flipped classroom idea- I discovered this on a course at the end of last year. The guy teaching us was a high school teacher though-
    I haven't seen it working in the lower years yet. I have applied some of the principles of it during reading rotations though and the results have been pretty amazing!

    x Serena x
    Magic Mistakes & Mayhem

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Serena! I love the idea of flipping classrooms and am hoping I can set something up for next year- probably a summer project!
      Hopefully I'll get some ipads next year...still wishing. Thanks for following me- I'm following you back now!

      Delete