Saturday, May 18, 2013

Projects!


Happy Saturday!  This morning's first project was to update my iOS system so that I'm not living in 2008 anymore.  It took all morning (I had more than one iOS update to complete) and I didn't lose anything.  Success!  Onto project number two...this blog post. 

I'm linking up with I {heart} Recess for new bloggers and I'm pretty excited about that!  I'm a day late (per usual), and I'm going to blame that on being new to blogging and still getting used to doing this and not on my laziness in updating.  


1. Why did you start blogging?
Lots of reasons- I thought blogging would give me a good outlet for posting where I found something or how I got an idea, as well as sharing ideas I use in my classroom and joining a growing community of professionals.  But ultimately, I started because some of my colleagues at work continued to mention that I should do it, and I crumbled under the peer pressure.
  
2. What is your favorite subject to teach and why?
Math and Science, which is weird because Reading was my favorite subject growing up.  Math and Science just lend themselves so well to problem solving, interactive activities, and new ideas.  However, I really love getting students to enjoy reading books.

3. Describe your teaching style.
Eclectic.  I believe students need to learn both collaboratively and on their own and that the process is more important than the final product in many cases.  I like freedom within structure in the classroom and value student thoughts, feelings, ideas, and creativity.  

4. Give three interesting facts about you.
I'm that person at the store stocking up on things for next year (I currently have 220 DOZEN Easter eggs being stored because they were such a great deal) and I hoard things "just in case I ever need them".
I smile a lot.  A lot.  Mostly because when I'm not smiling, people think something is wrong. 
I love my job, even on the days when I don't like it so much.

5. Do you have a TpT store? 



So today's next project is finishing my end of the school year slideshow for the students.  Last year someone in our building had a bunch of Yellow Pages cds that they were throwing away, so naturally I scooped them up.  At the beginning of this school year we did some CD art that I blogged about here- which wasn't even using these discs, so now I have more!  






I had one of my 8th grade helpers unwrap these and take them apart for me so that I could turn them into this year's DVD gift to my students. 

Now I have the cases all ready to go (Free!  Score!) and today's project will be finishing the actual slideshow...because I don't think a fancy CD case is going to impress any 10 year olds.  


I better get to work!

4 comments:

  1. Nice job on the updates. Nothing gets you down more than realizing how far behind you are on them...then that chance you could lose everything...

    I really like the slideshow parting gift...not sure how tech savy your kids are, but have you thought about uploading it to Vimeo or Youtube? Then they can download it to whatever device they might have. We've started doing that more this year and giving students a code to download/view it so it's not completely open to the public.

    matt
    Digital: Divide & Conquer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for linking up! Love the way you describe your teaching style!

    Jess

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just discovered your blog through the Budding Blog Linky and I am your newest follower! :o)
    Tara
    TeachingwithTWitte

    ReplyDelete