Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Back in the Office

I just returned from lovely Seattle this past week.  Here's proof that I was there:


That's a (the?) troll under a bridge in Fremont.  Not to be confused with a gnome or gargoyle.

Real quick; here's my currently:
I don't want to miss out on the party!
You have probably linked up already, but if not, head on over to Farley's for the link up! 



So now I'm back in the office.  Here is my corner office with a view (of a cement courtyard). 


So that's what I'm working with.  Not too shabby, right?  This is my favorite time of year.  That time right before everyone starts coming back when I get to break into my classroom and start pulling everything out of the closets again.  Then I make a huge mess and put it all back together into a functional learning space.

Every year I rearrange and change things up.  I don't want to get stuck in a rut and keep my classroom the same year after year.  I also have so many things that I want to change each year that it just makes sense for me to switch it up.

Obviously it's a wonderful work in progress.

After I returned from my amazing trip, I knew I had to buckle down and get busy.  At the end of last year, our incoming principal told us to make a list of any/all math manipulatives we could possibly dream of using in our classrooms.  Since our 4th grade had basically nothing, this was an easy task.  I drew up a spreadsheet for our wishlist and went on an online shopping spree.  One of the other 4th grade teachers helped me put together a list and we submitted it.  When I returned from my vacation, I was welcomed by a table FULL of math materials and this lovely letter...


Our new principal SOMEONE knows me pretty well!   It was like Christmas up in here!  We got straight to work sorting through our loot.  


Here's a list of the exciting materials we ordered (and received!!)  from {EAI}:
Cuisenaire Connecting Rods
Exploragons (these things are AWESOME!!)
Rulers
Protractors
Pattern Blocks
Geoboards
Tangrams
Pentominoes
Dice, dice, dice!
Calculators
3D foldable shapes
SmartPals (yay!)
Base 10 blocks


Are there any math materials you can't live without?

1 comment:

  1. Hooray for new laptops! I got a new laptop this summer too, and have been LOVING it!

    ReplyDelete