Monday, January 27, 2014

Award Season!! (book edition)

It's my favorite season- award season!  I spent my Sunday evening grooving with the Grammys.  It was not school related at all.  But today...

The American Library Association released it's list of award winners!  These books are going to be sporting some brand-spanking-new jewelry as part of their cover art.

You've probably heard of these books before, but (not) surprisingly, I haven't read a single one yet!  Have you?  I better get reading!

The big winners are:

Caldecott Medal:




"Locomotive"
Written & Illustrated by Brian Floca



John Newbery Medal:


"Flora  & Ulysses: The Illuminated Adventures
by Kate DiCamillo


For a complete list of winners, make your way over {here to the ALA website}.

I was also pretty stoked that one of my favorite authors (not for 4th graders, but for me personally), Markus Zusak, won the Margaret A. Edwards Award for an author's "significant and lasting contribution to young adult literature".  Mr. Zusak is the author of The Book Thief and I am the Messenger.  If you haven't seen "The Book Thief " movie that was out this winter, you should!  I absolutely adored it.  Keep some tissues nearby though, because it tugs at the heartstrings.

So...do you agree with the choices?  Are there any books you would like to have seen on the list?

Happy Teaching!

No comments:

Post a Comment